Tuesday, July 3, 2018

HOW I GOT STARTED STARTED WITH MY INTEREST IN GEOLOGY

Hi, Bruce Edwards is back in the blog.

I have changed the name of my blog to:

Thelastnail's rocks tumbling and polishing.

Quite a far cry from my other two blogs of relational pop psychology and the 2014 NCAA College football season.  Yes, it's been four years since my last entry.

Some changes.  I'm working now.  I'm living in Boulder, still in beautiful Colorado.  Been with Keeli, my girl-friend for four years.

Since I was a kid living in Chatsworth California, I've had an on and off again interest in rocks and minerals.  On February 9, 1971 at 6:01am I quickly became interested in seismology.  That was the the exact time, PST, that the 6.4 Sylmar earthquake hit the northern San Fernando Valley.

I will also mention something about my faith and why that is relevant to what I am covering in this blog.  I have been a Christian for almost 30 years.  I believe in God the Creator, who created time, space and matter according to Genesis 1:1.

From there my theology differs from young earth creationism.  I do not see myself as an evangelical 'take all of the Bible literally' right-wing Christian.  I am fairly middle of the road.  As we view God's creation, we cannot ignore science.  

In fact, science is not a liberal conspiracy.  When you are not feeling well, you depend on science.  When you are waking up, working, going back to sleep, you depend on science during the day.  When I read further from Genesis 1:2 to the conclusion of the third chapter of Genesis - I take this as an allegorical theme of separation of light from darkness, not to be taken literally as geological and biological Earth history.

With that said, I believe that this earth, this universe is very old.  I am also an evolutionist when it comes to life, geological processes and so forth.  This blog is not a debating arena if you happen to disagree with me, just letting you know where I coming from if I mention something about the age of a particular rock, a mineral, for that matter the age of the Earth and so forth.

Back on December 29, 2017 - I was viewing a YouTube video titled roughly - California in 10 Million Years - Perspective on Ocean Science, by Dr.  Graham Kent.

Dr. Kent examined subjects such as:
1.  Lake Tahoe - Faulting
2.  Mono Lake
3.  Gulf of California
4.  Farallon Plate
5.  Walker Lane

I decided that each day I was going to take a subject from YouTube or YT and link it to another subject, possibly on YT.  So I started with Lake Tahoe - Faulting.

I looked at the following:  A Mega-Tsunami on Lake Tahoe roughly 40,000 years ago resulting from a landslide.  Then the Mono Lake tufas.  After that was the Gulf of California tectonic setting - quakes and the spreading ridge and the Gulf of California rift zone.

Then the ancient Farallon Plate (which is now in the north as the Juan De Fuca Plate which is diving under Northern California, Oregon and Washington,  and the Cocos  Plate that is diving under Mexico.

Finally, the Walker Lane, east of the Sierra Nevadas of California.

I will stop there at this point and this is to be continued.





No comments:

Post a Comment